Quote of the Day

more Quotes

06 June 2012

The Undoubted Queen

I followed the Diamond Jubilee celebrations on line like many others in the rest of the world. The inner British freak in me enjoyed it all. I'm convinced that if I lived in London I'd celebrate in the streets. I'd probably never wear a mask or hold a flag, since the unpatriottic Italian in me find it tedious and admirable at the same time (I wish we had at least one symbol to believe in like the Queen), but I'd surely wake up very early and gather outside St Paul's Cathedral to catch a glimpse of the Royals too. 

Collage created with phtos from The Telegraph

Monarchy can be useless and aesthetically decorative, but it's the only institution that hasn't let the family, the nation and a whole Commonwealth down through the years. Queen Elizabeth II has always been there, stable, intelligent and honest, getting in return respect, affection, even love from her people, "insisting on finding common ground with a woman whose life is so singularly uncommon, on seeing the ordinariness in a figure who by definition must be extraordinarily other." - credits

60 years of amazing fashion history, too. The Queen has always been a reassuring matronly solidity in her elegance, which developped through the years but didn't change a bit: always impeccable. I'm used to the image of her wearing coloured outfits with a matching hat, neat handbag and shoes, so I was surprised to see she was glamorous in her youth. She was vibrant, exciting and spontaneous, and even wore a seductive tight dress on the day of her coronation. 

via Vogue

I loved the way throughout the 1950s she channeled Grace Kelly glamour through fitted bodices and full skirts during the day, and outfits of duchesse satin and tulle paired with furs and tiaras at night. I also loved how through the 1990s a more relaxed image of the Queen emerged, as images of her relaxed clothes enjoying the British countryside in colourful headscarves and down-to-earth tweeds.   

It must be hard to work with her to assure her outifts are always away from wardrobe malfunction. Since she's aided by Angela Kelly, her First Assistant, I notice an even better look on her Majesty. I'm so glad the Queen keeps trusting this lady's taste against all great stylists out there who would like to dress THE Royal, like disgusting Karl Lagerfeld dreamed.
"I don't know why the Queen seems fond of me - Because I don't give her an easy time!" spoke Mrs Kelly about her role to the The Telegraph for the first time, after seeking permission from her special boss. "I do think she values my opinion, but she is the one who is in control. She always makes the final decision,"
Queen Elizabeth looked utterly majestic with all her Jubilee outfits. The only sad thing on these happy Diamond days was that she was alone, with her husband hospitalized for an infection. Long live the Queen and Prince Philip, then. I hope they can keep sparkling with their marriage, the longest for any reigning king or queen in the history of British and a symbol of devotion to their dominions.

via People

It was, in 1947, that rarest of unions: a royal love match. Just like mine with London, which took a piece of my heart and keeps it there. London calls and I have to respond: I'll go next week with Alice and stay a fortnight. A bit late for the Jubilee, but surely in time for restoring a sane nostalgia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by, your opinion counts! Feel free to express yourself xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...