Quote of the Day

more Quotes

07 December 2010

One thing leads to another

Portrait isn't my favorite subject in photography, but this is a guy to take inspiration from, because he can capture a story in a person's face. He's a Spanish art director based in Amsterdam, Diego Arroyo, and I came across his beautiful Set of faces in Southeast Asia while browsing for interior design photos (the depth of internet are amazing, aren't they?)


"My favourite subject is travel photography and I guess my main goal is trying to catch those expressions we can all relate to ... the essence that makes us all the same," Arroyo says. "Life is full of small, subtle moments. My challenge is to try and catch that underlying magic that deserves to be seen and usually remains unnoticeable."

View more photos at Southeast.

His style is reminiscent of Steve Mc Curry and in fact Arroyo admits that this universally liked photojournalist, symbol of multiculturalism, makes his list of inspiration.
Mc Curry's most recognized photo
Here are some of my favorite shots of this memorable genius, taken from this incredible site mymodernmet.

Most of my images are grounded in people. I look for the unguarded moment, the essential soul peeking out, experience etched on a person’s face. I try to convey what it is like to be that person, a person caught in a broader landscape that you could call the human condition.” - Steve Mc Curry
How can someone even aspire to reproduce similar photos? They're unique and, more than inspired, I feel totally unprepared and inadequate to capture such similarites and differences of our cultures. When a photographer make you feel connected to a faraway world this way, I think he reached his goal, which is to touch souls. Respect!

4 comments:

  1. I say many times that a photograph may also be a stroke of good luck, to be in the perfect place at the perfect moment. But this is "help" from fate.... This is why I envy people who can make exquisite pictures out of nothing. I want to be one of them. Make something our of nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too! i want to be the ultimate photographer! argh! the more i stud photography, the less i feel talented, though! yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too!!!!!!!!! And this is probably why Nek does not want me to take lessons and does not tell me anything about technical stuff. In fact she says she envies my enthusiasm when I see life through the lens cos they have "stole" it from her at school. Sad, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. really? so you take classes and you lose your eye for everything? i can't believe that! how can they ruin you to such an extent?

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by, your opinion counts! Feel free to express yourself xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...